There are no products in your shopping cart.
I wrote a blog several weeks ago in which I mentioned that it might be a bad idea to give the boss a gift on boss’ day. I have been amazed at the comments and interviews that I have received since. The response has been more than anything I have written lately. So I decided that in light of the approaching holidays, I might write a “Top Ten List,” a la David Letterman. Here are my top ten reasons “why you should NOT give your boss a gift:
10. If you do it because others do it, you are doing it for the wrong reason and you will probably resent it
9. If the boss expects it, s/he is a bad boss to begin with and a gift may act as a positive reinforcer for bad boss behavior
8. If a gift affects the boss’ behavior toward you, it is not a healthy work situation for you or the boss
7. It puts pressure on the boss to reciprocate and it is not a good idea to put pressure on the boss
6. It gets expensive for the boss if there are a number of direct or indirect reports who need reciprocating
5. It is the economy, stupid
4. It may cause the boss to question your motive
3. It is a good time to break this bad habit
2. A card with a hand written note is probably more meaningful – and it is a better, more appropriate habit
1. The boss doesn’t need it – give it to someone who does
In addition to writing your boss a note, here are some more suggestions of how to recognize and positively reinforce your boss in a meaningful way all year round. This post originally appeared on Aubrey's blog December 16, 2009.
© Aubrey Daniels International, Inc. All rights reserved. 2022